If you'll be helping a senior family member or friend move, know that there are moving solutions beyond doing all the work yourself. Professional moving services will take care of all the packing, moving, and even unpacking at the new home. They'll meet with you weeks in advance to determine what services you need, how long the move will take, and what you can expect on moving day.
Senior move management services
Professional moving companies that offer relocation and moving services specifically for seniors provide a number of specialty services to ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible. These moving teams are usually highly trained to provide fast and efficient moving services. Many offer space planning and furniture layout services that can be extremely valuable for seniors who are worried about how their furniture will fit in their new space.
Some of the services these companies offer include:
- Organizing, packing, and moving belongings into the new home.
- Helping to downsize by discarding items that are no longer wanted or needed.
- Assisting with unpacking and setting up the new living space.
- Coordinating and facilitating all events for the actual moving day.
- Booking in advance any personal senior care services that might be needed on moving day.
- Preparing the former home for sale or new tenants.
- Taking care of any unwanted furniture, household items, or personal belongings as requested.
- Maintaining an accurate inventory list so that everything from the old residence is moved over to the new place.
Additional moving services available to seniors
Some moving companies that offer senior services can also help if you are assisting an elderly person with a move. Seniors who are counting on friends and family to coordinate a move or need help with estate services can also work with a professional moving service to make sure all wishes in a will are carried out; prepare a former home for the real estate market; and work with a lawyer when needed.