Professional movers will alleviate much of the moving-day stress, but you'll still need to do some preparation. In addition to packing up smaller items and clearing out pathways for the movers, make sure you include the following on your moving checklist:
- Dispose of all flammables on the property. Federal law requires tenants to dispose of all flammable items such as cleaning fluids, matches, aerosol cans, and fireworks that are on the property.
- Call service technicians for all large appliances. If you are planning to move your washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, and other larger appliances, you'll need to have a service technician stop by to prepare the item for shipment. Not all moving companies offer services to manage large appliances; remember that this process can take a couple of weeks depending on which manufacturers you are working with.
- Clean all rugs and drapes. Take your larger rugs and draperies to a professional cleaner so that they can wash them and pack them for the move.
- Decide which plants you want to take with you. Determine which house plants you want to take along to the new place and which ones you can just give away to neighbors, relatives, or friends. Make arrangement at least a couple of days in advance of the move so you can clear up the space.
- Place extra-fragile items in special containers. Prepare moving boxes or totes specifically for your extra-fragile items and mark them clearly.
- Unplug all electronic appliances. Make sure all electronics including computers, small kitchen appliances, lamps, and stereo equipment are unplugged at least 24 hours before the movers arrive. Separate any cords and pack them in separate bags or boxes so that you can keep track of these key items.
- Check all closets, cabinets, and drawers. Make sure you haven't left any personal items behind by doing a thorough check of all closets, cabinets, and drawers the night before the move. You won't have much time to do this type of check once the movers arrive and this is one step that's easy to overlook.