Winter and the holidays are approaching. As you start to spend more time indoors this season, consider renovations that will make your home more enjoyable for the colder months ahead. Not only can you look forward to a more attractive and comfortable living space, but you could also increase the value of your home. The National Association of Home Builders explains the value of remodeling versus moving, and emphasizes that remodeling shouldn't increase your home's value by 10 to 15 percent, according to real estate experts.
Here are five simple renovation projects to take care of this fall and enjoy throughout the winter:
1. Add a fireplace. An indoor fireplace could be the perfect addition to your home, especially as we enter the winter season and holiday months. If a wood-burning fireplace is too pricey, consider investing in an electric fireplace that you can set up virtually anywhere. Even a freestanding electric fireplace could be enough to transform a living space and make it that much cozier.
2. Update your kitchen. Entertaining season is right around the corner so get started on a mini-makeover for your kitchen. Install some new cabinets, replace your appliances, or invest in a kitchen island or new countertops for the update.
3. Redecorate the guest bedroom. Before guests start flocking to your home for the holidays, take care of some minor updates in the guest bedrooms. Paint the walls, add new window treatments, replace old blinds, and put down some new carpet. Think of some simple ways to update this space. Adding some colorful paintings or handmade décor to empty wall spaces, purchasing new bedding, or investing in a new bed frame can make this room much more guest-friendly for the season.
4. Take care of roof repairs. Fall is an ideal time to address any roof repairs because once the snow and ice hit, you'll be in for even more damages. Talk to a few reputable roofing contractors in your area for a quote and make sure the work will get done before inclement weather strikes.
5. Paint the interior walls. Update your entire home with some new hues by painting the interior walls in a new color scheme. It's easier to leave doors and windows open to let the paint dry during the cooler months, and you won't have to worry about humidity affecting the quality of the paint job. Think of some new color schemes to paint your main living areas with and make it a weekend DIY project.