Cabinets can be one of the most expensive components of your home. Whether you are choosing kitchen or bathroom cabinets, sprucing up old cabinets will save money and give your home a face lift. When cabinets are updated, they can improve the value of your home and appeal to future home buyers. Even if you aren't moving, you'll want to spend more time in your kitchen and bathroom once you have fresh, updated cabinets. Here are 10 ways to breathe life into old cabinets and update your home at the same time!
1. Paint cabinets: Consider painting old cabinets with a fresh coat of paint in a quality semi- or high-gloss paint. Make sure cabinets are sanded free of the old finish/stain. For the best results, seek advice of a home improvement store or a cabinetry maker for your specific type of cabinet.
Modern metals in minimalistic shapes help update cabinets.
Cabinet detailing adds grandeur.
4. Add glass doors: To give cabinets country charm, replace solid doors with glass pane doors. If you decide to add glass, consider putting decorative dishes or display items in these cabinets. Add under-cabinet lights inside cabinets for added visual interest in the evening.
Structurally sound cabinets just need refacing.
[Thinking about refacing your cabinets? Click to find the right contractor now.]
6. Remove doors entirely: Partially open shelving and cabinetry is for those who like to have dishware on display. Kitchens can add a decorative touch by using open shelving display to brighten their kitchen and walls. Consider painting the inside of the cabinets to give dishes a beautiful backdrop.
7. Under/over cabinet lighting brightens the kitchen: Updating your old cabinetry can also mean improving its functionality. Consider breathing new life into your cabinets with over and under cabinet lighting. Lighting can add ambiance and under cabinet lighting doubles for ambiance and task lighting.
What you put inside your cabinets matters, too.
9. Add cabinetry paneling to your appliances: Once your cabinetry has been aesthetically improved, opt for appliances with matching cabinetry paneling. This is a good option for those who reface cabinets with door fronts and drawer pulls. Refrigerators, dishwashers, and heated/cooling drawers have varieties with customizable paneling for an integrated appeal.
[Thinking of remodeling your kitchen? Click to find the right contractor now.]
- Home & Garden
- DIY & Home Improvement
- kitchen cabinets